Wednesday 19 September 2012

Second Placement!

So I have now started my second placement which is in a sheltered residence for clients recovering from long term mental illness. The residence, which is very homely and is surrounded by a beautiful garden, houses up to 14 clients and has a small and very friendly team of healthcare professionals working there. I have had such a great welcome by all staff members and clients and again I am suprised at how eager everybody is to talk English with me, and at such a high level.

My mentor has been so good in helping me quickly get settled in the residence and always takes the time to translate anything from dicussions with staff and clients which I am really grateful for. Within my first week and a half I have been able to develop good relationships with clients and found there to be alot of learning opportunities such as client counselling and dispensing and administration of medication. Yesterday I gave my first depot injection in year (which was well overdue!!) and have many more planned. There is also enough time to have regular reflections with my mentor whereby she is helping me to link practice to theory in relation a rehabilitation. We have also been having many discussions about the common ethical dilemmas encountered at the residence and the best nursing approaches towards these.

So as usual the time is flying and I have suddenly become conscious I will be home in Scotland before I know it. I will post on here again soon with my progress and some pictures of the residence.

No comments:

Post a Comment